Here’s a fun fact about your skin:
Did you know that your skin is the largest organ of your body?
Oh yes it is. In fact, it’s also your body’s largest detoxification organ. Meaning that one of the skin’s jobs is to rid your body of “left-over” toxins. Not properly processed by the major organs of elimination.
That being said, the quality of your skin can tell us a lot about how your body is functioning.
If your system is up to par, your skin will be vibrant and healthy.
If you’re fading a bit, then your skin will surely show the signs of wear of tear.
[FYI: your skin also helps to control body temperature, makes vitamin D and serves as a protective layer for your body. Your skin’s got big work to do, so a few EZ skin care tips can go a looooong way.]
The Skin-Thyroid Connection
Your skin just may be the largest detox organ for your body, but guess who’s in charge of detoxification in the first place?
Yup, you guessed it.
If your metabolic manager (that’s what your thyroid does- it manages the energy that is made by your adrenals) is not functioning efficiently, then it’s really hard for your major detox organs- namely the liver, kidneys, lung, and large intestines- to keep up with their jobs.
Toxins tend to accumulate and your skin has to deal with the left-over junk. Eventually, your skin takes the hit. You’ll find oily skin, dull skin, acne and blemishes creep to the surface.
Less is Best
Over and over again, in my clinical practice I find myself saying “Less is best, and simple is even better.”
Better health, good health and even the best health that you’ve ever had usually comes through simplifying. You know, easy things like; drink lemon water, eat more veggies, go for a walk, think positive.
And the same is true for our lotions, creams, and skin care routines.
The fancy stuff with 15 ingredients is expensive and doesn’t usually work so well. Today I’m going to share with you a simple skin care routine and the best face cream everrrr. It’s so good you can even use it as a body lotion.
Easy Pease-y Skin Care and Cream
Here you go ladies. No soap, no fancy stuff. Pure, simple, and it works (I’m living proof- I’ve been doing this exact routine for 2 years now- and my skin glows.)
1. Skip the Soap- Soap is drying and it makes your skin over produce oil. In the end it’s totally counterproductive.
2. Use Sesame Oil- skip the makeup remover and go for sesame oil. It’s an ayurvedic remedy and great for skin care. Just a bit of oil on a cotton ball will makeup easily.
3. Apply Water and Honey! Sound crazy? It’s not. Honey is antimicrobial and moisturizing. It’s the perfect cleanser for oily or dry skin. Splash a bit of water on your face, scoop a bit of honey and start rubbing it in gently with small circles.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar/Lavendar Toner- Dilute a ratio of 1/3 apple cider vinegar to 2/3 water in a spritz bottle. Add your favorite essential oil (I love lavender for the skin) and spritz away.
5. Apply the Best Skin Cream Everrr- I’ve seen this cream work for oily and dry skin alike. If your skin is on the oily side it might take a few weeks to have your oils adjust. Give it time because the results are awesome. Here’s the recipe:
The Best Skin Cream Everrr
Are you ready for this? 2 ingredients, that’s it: beef tallow (here) and cold-pressed sesame oil (here).
1. Combine ½ cup beef tallow and 2 TBSP sesame oil in a small pot. Heat over a low flame. We don’t need to go crazy here, we just need to soften the tallow.
2. Remove from flame and let the tallow set for a minute or two.
3. Use a hand blender and whip for 3-5 minutes. The mixture should be smooth and creamy. You might want to add your favorite essential oil- lavender or frankinscence are known to be helpful essential oils for the skin.
4. Apply to face, hands, and body for forever smooth skin.